Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Post Processing: Why I love RAW

I take photos in the RAW file format. Which means I have almost complete control over the photograph once it's taken. Which is pretty awesome!

In an instance where there is a low light situation, you can often underexpose a photo and edit the RAW file to brighten the image. I have a couple examples here.



This is a picture that was taken last Friday at our home school group's Annual Winter Formal.



My friend who took the picture used a fast shutter speed and no flash. 

Extremely dark... yes. Hopeless... no. 
Adobe LightRoom to the rescue!! :D





 After I adjusted several things, the photo is quite grainy but at least now you can see the subject of the picture.

I personally like the B&W grainy look! :)






Here are the steps I use for fixing most low-light photos....

This is the original photo



I boosted the exposure all the way up, and now you can see the subject of the photo! 
Me dancing with Clay. :D 
The colors are pretty cool in this one, but I kept editing.......


I converted it to B&W....


And tuned up the details a bit.


I love taking pictures... and I love editing them, too! :D I'd love to hear what you think 
about how I did these. ;) 










P.S. Thanks to Snap Of The Shutter, I was introduced to this file format last May. Thank you! :)




2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you used it so well!! I think you can even remove that purple tint if you wanted to, by mixing with the hue/saturation/luminance sliders for purple. Cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I enjoy messing around with all the cool setting. True! I could take out the purple if I left it in color. Shooting in RAW sure was a life saver for those Graduation photos! Looking back I know I could have edited them better, but I was just starting out.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your thoughts.

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips