Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"...so walk ye in Him."

My two most cherished possessions are my Bible and Spurgeon's Morning and Evening. (my camera comes in close third:)

Here is today's morning devotional, please read it! I often find encouragement and guidance from this wonderful book. Charles Hadden Spurgeon was a mighty man of God; he was blessed with a ready pen and now I am blessed through his writings.


Spurgeon's Morning and Evening; morning devotional November  9

“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him.”
Colossians 2.6

If we have received Christ himself in our inmost hearts, our new lives will manifest their intimate acquaintance with Him by a walk of faith in him. Walking implies action. Our religion is not to be confined to our private prayer times. We must carry out into practical actions that which we believe. If a person walks in Christ, then he acts as Christ would act. Since Christ is in him as his hope, his love, his joy, his life, he is the reflection of the image of Jesus. People say of that person, “He is like his Master; he lives like Jesus Christ.” Walking signifies progress. “So walk ye in him.” Proceed from grace to grace. Run forward until you reach the uttermost degree of knowledge that a person can attain concerning our Beloved. Walking implies continuance. There must be a perpetual abiding in Christ. How many Christians think that in the morning and evening they ought to come into the company of Jesus, but then they give their hearts to the world all day? But this is poor living. We should always be with Him, treading in His steps and doing His will. Walking also implies habit. When we speak of a man’s walk and conversation, we mean his habits and the constant character of his life. Now, if we sometimes enjoy Christ, and then forget him; sometimes call Him ours, and immediately lose our hold, that is not a habit; we do not walk in him. We must keep close to Him, cling to Him, never let Him go; we should live and have our being in Him. “As ye have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him.” Persevere in the same way in which ye have begun. As at the first Christ Jesus was the trust of your faith, the source of your life, the principle of your action, and the joy of your spirit, so let Him be the same until life’s end--the same when you walk through the valley of the shadow of death and enter into the joy and the rest that remains for the people of God. Holy Spirit, enable us to obey this heavenly precept.


 I hope you are uplifted today through this devotional. Always remember to walk with Christ! He is our Hope and Salvation. Our outward actions make more of an impact than we realize. Try your hardest to be a Godly influence in the lives of others and ask God for help! We can do NOTHING without Him. But "[we] can do all things through Christ who strengthens [us]." Philippians 4.13

If you do not own a copy of Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, I wholeheartedly commend it to you. Look it up. Find it. Buy it. ;D Or you can read it online here. Either way, I believe you'll be blessed.


Soli Deo Gloria!
  *¸.-:|:- .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:|:-  Emily -:|:-~~'
     ((¸¸.·´


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading the excerpt of "Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional" Thank you so much for sharing that. It really encouraged me!! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Emily! How often we forget that people are always watching us! Thanks so much for sharing! =) Blessings in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome, Britt! I'm so glad you were encouraged! <3 God is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Leah! Yes, I often need to be reminded I'm setting an example. I often think about others setting an example for me... but seldom think about the way I act. God is so good to teach us! Is He not? :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your thoughts.

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips